Angus kindly arranged the weather to be almost perfect on Sunday for the inaugural competition for the Angus Dow Putter which he donated to the Club to mark his retirement a few months ago after 35 years service.
A large field of 114 amateurs entered the competition and it was certainly a day for the younger players to shine in Division 1. The 3 leading players all scored 40 points each and their combined ages came to just 62 years with Harry Gibbons just edging the win on a back 9 countback from 14 year old Hattie, Angus' daughter, who herself secured 2nd on a back 6 countback from the ageing Harry Stannard who at 27 was the oldest of the 3. What a story that would have been had Hattie won the putter donated by her father who in turn was gifted the hickory shafted putter from his grandfather when in his teens. Next year perhaps?
Harry Stannard had a pretty good weekend all round, reducing his handicap from 8.2 to 5,5 inclusive of a 0.9 shot Exceptional Scoring Reduction applied after Sunday, and collecting well over £100 in prize vouchers inclusive of 3 x 2s.
Winning scores :-
- Overall winner : Harry Gibbons 40 points playing off 8
- Best gross : Steve Greenfield 34 points
- Division #1 (56 players)
- 1st place nett : Harry Gibbons 40 points (back 9 c/b) playing off 8
- 2nd place nett : Hattie Dow 40 points (back 6 c/b) playing off 11
- 3rd place nett : Harry Stannard 40 points playing off 7
- Division #2 (58 players)
- 1st place nett : Mike Heath 39 points playing off 13
- 2nd place nett : Hamish MacDonald 36 points (back 9 c/b) playing off 18
- 3rd place nett : Roger Marris 36 points (back 9 c/b) playing off 16
With relatively benign conditions and such a large field it was to be expected that there'd be an abundance of 2s, but Gareth obvioulsy had other ideas with tricky pin placements on the par 3s, so only 7 x 2s were recorded, each earning £16.00.
Don't forget to get your teams of 4 registered in the Pro Shop for the Captains Weekend Sunday Am-Am in 2 weeks time, a best 2 from 4 Stableford inclusive of a BBQ meal on your return to the clubhouse. Enter on BRS as usual for the Saturday Medal.
Handicap & Competitions Chairman